For those who are put in a situation where they are not ready for anyone to see/know about their self-harming habits, here are a few ways to hide the cuts/burns. As a companion to this post, please check out my “What to say if someone sees” post that I made last month.
Trigger warning: There is a video and picture where you see someone’s SH scars.
Things to hide them with:
On the wrist/forearm:
- tattoos (if you have no objections to getting a tattoo and have the money)
- bandanas/arm bands
- long sleeves
- concealing tape/adhesive tape/Mircropore tape (they sell these in colors that match many skin tones. The best way to do this is to cut the tape in a similar shape to your scar. Sometimes putting a light coat of makeup (a very light-weight cream concealer will work over the tape SOMETIMES.)
- Makeup–> scroll down to learn how to cover your scars with makeup.
On bigger parts of the body (thighs, biceps, abdomen, etc):
- shorts that cover a decent part of your thighs, 3/4 sleeves, long sleeves, etc.
- band-aids: A few band-aids aren’t suspicious. Putting the whole box on is. After you have the band-aids on for a week or so, you can try to cover it with makeup (this works best in small areas).
- An ace-bandage (on a bicep or thigh if you could make it believable) .
A Note about long sleeve clothing: please be smart about what you wear and when. If you are in Florida during the summer wearing a sweatshirt to cover your cuts, there’s a high chance you could pass out from heat exhaustion. Try something else like a bandana or scarf around your cuts. You could be starting a new fashion trend!
How to cover your scars with makeup:
- First and foremost: DO NOT APPLY MAKEUP TO A FRESH CUT!!! WAIT FOR IT TO HEAL AND SEAL ITSELF UP A LITTLE BIT. YOU WILL GET AN INFECTION.
- Use Mederma cream to help fade the scars (multiple treatments often)
- Check out this video for the best method of hiding scars HERE
I like to use Kat Von D Tattoo Concealer from Sephora (I’ve used this product to cover up my wrist tattoo for job interviews and scars. It works on scars of any kind, not just SI ones). I also recommend Airbrush legs by Sally Hansen, and DermaBlend by VICHY (again– for any kind of scars really.) **THESE PRODUCTS MIGHT NOT WORK ON EVERYONE, DEPENDING ON SKIN TONE, SKIN TEXTURE ETC.
Before and after (Dermablend & powder foundations):